"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, July 3, 2014

July 30-day Challenge: Downsize and Organize!

I have TOO. MUCH. JUNK. A ton of our stuff doesn't even have a real place to go. Things never really get put "away", they just get put "somewhere else". On top of that, my husband and I are both kind of hoarders so we have a ton of stuff we never use, yet still hang on to for no good reason. We're drowning in it. It's bad.

Even my 10-year-old brother stopped dead in his tracks and asked, "What happened in here?!" when he saw my bedroom. Yep, a 10-year-old boy. It's that bad. I feel like I'm always drowning in clutter and it stresses me out, which makes life less fun for our entire little family!

We can kind of get away with it right now since we have extra bedrooms to use as storage units (haha aren't we resourceful?), but that will soon change! We're moving in about 6 weeks, and (thanks to the expensive Penn State housing vs. cheap Alabama housing) the house we're moving to has no extra bedroom, no garage, and a much smaller outside storage shed, smaller laundry room, and smaller and fewer closets than our current house. Something's gotta change!


This month's challenge is two-fold.

First: get rid of stuff! Like, a LOT of stuff! There is no good reason for us to have so much stuff that we need an extra bedroom to pile it in while still having every room of the house feel like it's overflowing in clutter! I'm planning a group yard sale for July 26th, so hopefully I can make a few bucks off of it. Whatever doesn't sell is getting donated to people from church in need, or donated to the thrift store! It will finally be GONE!!

Second: find a place for everything! It's impossible to put things away when there isn't a place for it to go. This one will probably mean we need to buy a few binders, file folders, storage bins, and possibly shelving or some other sort of furniture to get an official home for everything. Ideally we'll make enough money selling our extra stuff to cover the cost of getting new stuff to organize what we actually want to have around.


I had a lot of success with my 30-day challenge last month, and I think a huge factor was the extra accountability I felt from having to take a picture every day. It also made it easy for me to know when I had achieved my goal for the day and could stop stressing about it. I hope that success and enthusiasm rolls over into this month, because I sure need it!!

Time to start Project Downsize and Organize!

No comments:

Post a Comment