"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

I Hope My Skin Doesn't Fall Off

Once upon a time (just now) I drove up to my house and discovered a dog there waiting for me. I don't have a dog, and to be honest, I really don't like dogs. He/she/it followed my car up the driveway and sat outside waiting for me. There was no owner in sight and I could see the dog was really dirty, so I figured it ran away and was lost. I decided to do a good deed and check for a name tag on the collar and hopefully call the owner.

I don't know what I was thinking.

The dog decided it loved me and jumped all over me repeatedly for a couple of minutes, scratched up my legs a little, and bit my hand a few times (playfully, but still broke skin)...which I wouldn't have minded *as* much if the dog hadn't just come from messing around with the dead armadillo that has been rotting in the street for days!! My inner (and outer) germaphobe self pretty much had a heart-attack and died.

this is what it looked like last week...it's a lot worse now

In addition to all the nastiness of a rotting carcass, armadillos carry leprosy. No joke. So now I might have rabies and leprosy, in addition to whatever other horrors run rampant in rotting, diseased roadkill. Ick! That's the last time I ever try to help someone find a lost dog again!

I washed my hands and arms about 7 times in a row and completely changed my clothes. Then, just to be safe, I ignored the warning label and gave all my contaminated skin (arms, legs, feet) a rubdown with Lysol wipes. That might not have been the smartest move. So now if my skin doesn't fall off from leprosy, it'll fall off from the chemicals. Seriously though, it's hard to feel clean enough to pick up your baby after an incredibly germy encounter like that! (I did rinse off the Lysol before touching her)

To top it all off, the dog didn't even have a nametag! It was all for nothing! So if this happens to be your dog, I'm sorry, I don't know where it is anymore.

 
This whole little adventure reminded me that I recently came across a 10-page college research paper I wrote about leprosy and the Bible while going through old boxes. If anyone needs me, I'll be studying it while locked up in my house, far away from all dogs and armadillos...and imagining living the rest of my life as a quarantined rabid leper.

No comments:

Post a Comment