"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Bruschetta Chicken

As my due date draws ever-nearer (only 2 weeks and 1 day! Crazy!!), I'm getting less and less motivated to spend time planning out meals, and even less excited about spending a lot of time up on my massive, swollen feet preparing something. So when I opened up my cupboard for inspiration (and hopefully something quick!) and saw an easy, delicious-looking recipe for Bruschetta Chicken Grill staring back at me, how could I resist?!


While the original recipe sounds wonderful, I did change a few things to make it fresher (more bruschetta-y instead of marinara-y), adapt to what I had on-hand, and simplify the cooking process. It only took about 20 minutes to prepare everything, and it's an easy recipe to prepare earlier in the day whenever you have time, and just toss in the oven before dinner.


The end result: Mmmmmm :) It even got the husband "We should definitely have this again sometime!" stamp of approval!

I tossed some mozzarella on the chicken before adding the bruschetta topping because it sounded good in my head, but since the bruschetta is served chilled, I actually liked it better without the extra cheese...just in case you're wondering what the white things in the picture that aren't mentioned in the recipe are.

The recipe is also dairy-free! (assuming the Italian bread and butter you use are dairy-free like mine were)


 Original recipe inspiration: Hunt's Bruschetta Grill , found on the back of a can of Hunt's diced tomatoes

My version:

Bruschetta Chicken

Ingredients:
- 1 lb. chicken
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing (I used Wishbone)
- 1/4 cup pasta sauce (can also substitute 2 Tbs tomato paste)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 tsp dried basil (or 1 Tbs fresh)
- Italian bread
- butter or margarine

Marinade:
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing (note: this is only 1/2 of the Italian dressing needed for the recipe)
- 1/4 cup pasta sauce

Marinate 1 lb. chicken for 30 minutes. Pour chicken and marinade into an oven-safe pan and cook at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, or until done.


Bruschetta:
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- 1 tsp dried basil

Mix together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to eat.


Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, serve over toasted Italian bread and top with bruschetta.

Enjoy!

FYI, the left-overs for this recipe are delicious!! The flavor sets in even more nicely with time :)

2 comments:

  1. Chicken bruschetta is the best. This looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I totally agree! Anything bruschetta is usually pretty wonderful :)

      Delete