"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, November 24, 2013

November 24th: Kids Say the Darndest Things and Sugardoodle

I'm a few posts behind on my gratitude journal (I've still been thinking of things I'm thankful for each day, I just haven't posted them yet), but I just had to write this post before I forgot!

Today I'm thankful for the hilarious things little kids say, and how funny it is sometimes to get a peek inside their minds. I wore a necklace with a key pendant on it to church today and my little 5 and 6-year-old students were so confused by it! "Why are you wearing a key?", "Does that open your house?", "Why do you have a key if it doesn't open anything?", "How can it be a key if it doesn't do anything?". Maybe if I had worn my car keys on a chain around my neck they would have been a bit more impressed than they were with my lame, useless, non-functional key necklace!

I also had quite an amusing conversation with one of my students about why I'm teaching them by myself now instead of team-teaching with Trevor like I used to:

kid: Why is it just you?
me: Because Trevor has to teach the big kids now.
kid: So...did you get not married to him anymore?
me: No, we're still married, he just teaches a different class.
kid: But that means you did get not married to your dad now.
(He thinks Trevor is my dad, and that I'm married to my dad. We've been trying to explain that one to him since we started teaching haha)
me: No, we can still be married even if we aren't both teaching the same class.
kid:...what?

Poor kid. So confused!

I'm also VERY thankful for the Sugardoodle blog/website! (linked here) My sister-in-law introduced me to it, and it has several supplemental activities, handouts, printables, powerpoint presentations, and video clips for each lesson. It is WONDERFUL!!! And it really made my life soooo much easier today!! I didn't get much sleep last night (about 5 1/2 instead of my usual 8 or 9), and my class has some bad weeks as far as behavior goes (last week for example!). Luckily I currently have a pretty small class. Managing them is still a little hard sometimes since I'm the only one, and I'm getting more and more pregnant every week (obviously). Three hours of church without a bathroom break or a snack break, or even just a moment of quiet to myself, is a long time for this adapting pregnant lady! And I don't have the option to step out with a misbehaving kid, or pull them off to the side for a minute while Trevor teaches - or vice versa. I have to just plow full steam ahead and hope for the best! Sometimes the best defense is a good offense, so I prepared a ton of activities thanks to Sugardoodle, and my class pretty much took care of themselves!

This week's lesson was about loving your neighbor, and how when you show love to others you're showing love to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ (Mosiah 2:17 and Matthew 25:40). I taught them the story of The Good Samaritan, and we watched a little video clip linked on Sugardoodle, and they loved it. I'm not even sure why they liked it so much! They watched it at least 3 times (it was only 2 minutes long), and still wanted to watch it again! I had to tell them no, because we had another video to watch :) This darling video is about Heber J. Grant and how he gave his coat to another little boy who didn't have one. It's super cute and super short. Here's the link if you want to see it :)

They wanted to keep watching that one too, but I finally convinced them not to because it was time to color! Sugardoodle had a link to a free printable coloring page depicting the story of The Good Samaritan, and then they colored flowers from yet another free printable and wrote on the back something they were going to do to show love to their neighbor (they all chose their moms), and we stuck their flowers on kabob skewers for them to take to their moms! Easy peasy, the kids had a blast, I had enough stuff to keep them entertained for much longer if needed, and we all survived!! Victory!


No comments:

Post a Comment