"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, November 16, 2013

November 15th: Identity

Today I'm thankful that I know who I am, and what makes me important. I watched several episodes of What Not To Wear tonight after dinner (I've been good and haven't watched TV all week, so I binged hehe :), and honestly, it was a bit eye-opening and heart-breaking to see these women who didn't respect themselves enough to try to dress as if they were worth respecting, and/or who thought that dressing trashy was the way to get the most attention and feel best about themselves. Their motivation for dressing that way wasn't even that they wanted to look like a slob, or be treated like a slut, they just didn't understand how to dress themselves attractively, and thought that's what they were doing when they let it all hang out. Before tonight I had only seen like 2 episodes of that show ever, so I don't know what it's usually like, but all of the women in the episodes I watched today were very emotional when they saw themselves after their makeover and finally saw how beautiful they really were all along, and realized how to let that beauty shine out without having their poor choice of clothing distracting from it.

I'm pretty sure there's not a woman alive who hasn't struggled at some point with body image, or feeling beautiful, or feeling she is worth as much as she really is; I am no exception. But, I have been very blessed to have been raised religiously, and I have always known that I am a daughter of God, and that I matter to Him. My religious upbringing has also equipped me with an understanding that dressing as a body - instead of as a person - is not the way to show people who I am. (that's "dressing as a body", not to be confused with "dressing to flatter your body". They're totally different, and the second one is a good thing!)

Although I could benefit greatly from ending up on that show (for heavens sake, I watched it in mis-matched, over-sized pj's because I never even got dressed today, and my most frequent hairstyle these days is "up" because I'm too lazy to shower every day, especially if I'm not going anywhere), I just don't imagine the "final reveal" after getting a new wardrobe and new hair style and professional makeup job would be as emotional for me as it was for them. Not because I'm more put together than any of the pre-makeover women on the show, and not because I wouldn't look like a million times awesomer after a professional makeover than when I do (haha more like don't) myself up on my own, but more because I already know I am of great worth. Don't get me wrong, seeing myself all prettied up would be super fun, and would teach me a ton about how I could look better, but I don't need that to see who I really am. I don't need that experience to show me what I'm worth.

There's just something about knowing that the God of the universe takes time to listen to you personally every time you pray, and is involved in the details of your life even though there are literally billions of other people to worry about at the same time, that makes it hard to not feel amazing! He loves ALL his little girls! (and boys) Let's never forget that :)


No comments:

Post a Comment