"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Super Soft Molasses Cookies

I worked in the bakery at Costco for a few years. Their regular cookies are great - of course, but one year we made these molasses cookies as a seasonal item. They were SO GOOD! I'm not a fan of the super hard and crunchy texture and extra spicy zing of most ginger snaps, but those molasses cookies were perfect! Big and soft, and just the right about of spice! I've been craving them for the past little while, but of course, they were just a temporary seasonal item from a couple years ago that I don't think they've made again...and the nearest Costco is over an hour and a half away...and we've been converted to Sam's since membership is cheaper and it's only half as far away. So yeah. Costco bakery's molasses cookies are just not going to happen. Which is a crying shame, I must say.




Simple solution: try my hand at some molasses cookies of my own!

The end result was a bit too good, and I may or may not have eaten 10 of them...I'm definitely going to be hitting the fruits and veggies hard tomorrow to make up for it!



I looked at recipes from Betty Crocker, Mrs. Fields, the back of my jar of molasses, and several random recipes on Pinterest, and came up with this version. It's a keeper! And it's dairy-free!




Soft Molasses Cookies

Cream together:
- 1/2 cup margarine (it helps make them softer than butter. To make it dairy-free use Blue Bonnet's light margarine)
- 1/4 cup shortening

Add in and mix until well-blended:
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed firmly)

Sift in:
- 1/4 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter or margarine, or if substituting shortening for the butter, make it heaping)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 1/4 cups flour

Dough will be sticky, but don't add more flour. Set aside some granulated sugar (about 1/3 cup) in a bowl.

Chill dough for 1 hour, then roll into balls. Roll the dough balls in the granulated sugar and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.




I know it's Fall and everything, and these are totally a Fall cookie, but it's still nice and hot here in Alabama so I just couldn't resist helping myself to some of Breyer's lactose-free vanilla ice cream with a cookie on the side :)




1 comment:

  1. Yum! I have to try these. I love soft molasses cookies!

    ReplyDelete