"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

30 Days to Greatness: Part 3

Back in September I wrote a post about how I was inspired by a short video of a 3 minute TED talk. The point of the video was to choose something - anything - that you want to work on for 30 days, and do it! The time will pass anyway, so you might as well do something with it and start being who you want to be!

The link to my original post is HERE if you want a refresher, or want to see the video clip again.

Here's a little inspirational quote I found in a friend's facebook status this morning:
Throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart. Live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours.- Dale Carnegie
So that is kind of a mini motto for these 30-day challenges! Choose something, and throw myself into it whole-heartedly for 30 days! I know that's now exactly what the quote is saying, but work with me here ;)

My first 30-day goal was to post in my blog every day. While I didn't succeed 100% (obviously!), I did post noticeably more in that 30-day time, so it was still a partial victory :)

The second 30-day goal I did was to change one thing every day. For example: change my overgrown eyebrows to sleeker ones, change a cluttered counter into an organized one, change myself by spending extra time reading my scriptures, change some fabric into a completed (or at least a more completed haha) sewing project, change random food that was about to go bad into a delicious meal, change my number of friends by spending time with someone new, or change my knowledge level by reading tutorials or taking/watching a class. That was a really fun one! The downside is that it's a really easy one to rationalize since it can be kind of an anything-goes thing at the end of the day. Someday I plan to make some more specific guidelines and do it again!

Right now I'm a few days into my third 30-day goal! (I decided to adjust the start date so I'd be doing my goals from the 1st to the 30th/31th of each month instead of from the 16th to 16th. It's a lot simpler!) The goal for this month is to keep a daily food log to encourage mindful eating.



As I get further and further along in my pregnancy, my fitness level keeps deteriorating like crazy. It's just too hard, I hurt, I'm swollen, it's too hot, I'm too tired, I'm moody, I don't feel good, I get too out of breath, etc. My eating has also taken a turn for the worse, and I kind of just eat however much of whatever I want, whenever I want it. I also don't really think about it very much, I just grab the container of leftovers/box of crackers/whatever and eat right out of it. Yes, being pregnant has turned me into an animal! It's not a healthy way to eat at all, and right now I should be at my healthiest because I need to be strong to grow (and deliver. yikes!) this baby, and I need to have enough nutrients for her to grow a strong, healthy body!



The food log I'm keeping is not just of what I'm eating, but how much, when I ate it, how long I spent eating it (a good 20-minute relaxed meal vs. a 3-minute gobbling session), how hungry I felt before and after eating, and daily totals of how many servings I ate from which parts of the food pyramid. It's kind of intense, but it's good for me! It's making me stop and realize exactly how poor my diet is sometimes, and giving me a chance to fix it! You may have noticed that I'm not counting calories, grams of fat, grams of sugar, or any of that. This is not a diet (I'm growing a baby for heavens sake!), I'm just trying to be more mindful and make better choices than I am currently doing. I've still got a long way to go before I'm where I want to be, but I'm getting there :) Slowly...haha

Wish me luck!

PS, I don't plan on posting my entire food log on this blog (I'll spare you the boredom!), but I do have another obscure blog about being healthy that I started forever ago and completely neglected after like 1 or 2 posts. I'm thinking of posting it there for the sake of accountability, so if anyone is curious or wants to join me in this 30-day goal, just let me know (comment, fb message, text, email, you know the drill) and I'll send you the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment