"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, September 6, 2013

Zucchini Bread (AKA Veggie Cake)

The past 3 days have been not-so-fun as far as dealing with pregnancy symptoms go. A couple brand new ones set in (congestion, sinus pressure, headache, and an unrelated toothache), and a few old ones have been paying an unwanted visit as well. So basically I've been lounging, moping, and feeling icky and not doing much of anything useful for the past few days. BUT today I'm actually feeling a bit better, so I made zucchini bread in celebration!!



I've been looking for an awesome recipe, and this new one still isn't "it" unfortunately. My mom has a great recipe, but it just never quite turns out for me, so I made some changes. The resulting texture still isn't quite what I'm looking for, and it was kind of a little too much sweet and not enough spice for my taste. Oh well, still plenty moist and tasty! And the fact that it wasn't 100% what I was hoping didn't stop me from eating half of one of the loaves all by myself for lunch! Oops :)

I wasn't going to post the recipe since I'm still on a quest to find "the one", but I figure I might as well. It's still yummy Zucchini bread! Plus it has no oil or butter, and it's dairy-free! Extra bonuses :)

It's great fresh and warm and gooey with the lemon glaze, and it's also delicious and refreshing served cold, or even frozen if you're like me and love frozen cake :) You could always eat it warm with a nice thick slab of butter too instead of the glaze. Yum!




Zucchini Bread

Preheat oven to 350, and grease two loaf pans

Mix together:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce (no oil!)
- 3 eggs

Add in and mix:
- 3 tsp vanilla (yes, it's the same as 1 Tbs)
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups of grated zucchini (I left the skin on and tossed a large carrot into the mix as well. That plus the natural sweetness from the applesauce probably made it a bit sweeter than it should have been)
- 1 tsp lemon zest

Sift in and mix until well blended:
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups flour

Pour the batter into both greased pans evenly, then bake on 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.

They are done baking when a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and tip out of the pans onto a cooling rack. Let cool another 30 minutes and top with lemon glaze! (Or just slice them up and put glaze on your individual slices if you're impatient like I was and want to enjoy the warm, fresh-baked goodness:)

I don't have a recipe for the glaze, you just mix powdered sugar with lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed) until you like the consistency. If I had to guesstimate, I'd say maybe 2 cups of powdered sugar and 1 1/2 - 2 Tbs lemon juice? Give or take a bit? (You can always substitute water for some or all of the lemon juice if it's too strong for your taste, or you don't like the flavor combination.) An extra sprinkle of lemon zest on top would be a nice touch too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment