"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, September 13, 2013

A Bit of Friday the 13th Bad Luck

I woke up this morning thinking "What a beautiful day! And it's Friday! Yay!" Yes, I really was that chipper from the moment I woke up today. I slept in until after 9; it helps :) I got myself some breakfast (some grapes and leftover homemade teriyaki stir fry. yum!), and got back in bed with my laptop, made a list of all the stuff I want to get done today, and started writing a bucket list. It's high time I made an official one. Somewhere along the way I realized it was Friday the 13th, but aside from choking a little from inhaling the juice from one of my grapes, I was having an awesome day! Then my sister called and we chatted for a few hours about nothing in particular. Still a great day!

I got off the phone around 12:30 or 1:00 and got myself some cucumbers and chips and salsa for a snack/lunch, and as I was putting my dishes in the sink I noticed something moving across the floor right in front of me. My glasses are a super old prescription (about 10 years old...) and they keep me from running into things, but they really don't compare to my updated prescription. If I had put my contacts in I might have noticed earlier that there were these 1/2 -  3/4 inch long white larvae - the same color as our kitchen tile - scootching all over the floor in every direction, all around me and my bare feet and my over-sized pj pants that were dragging through the vermin. YUCK! My kitchen is a nest of worms!!! Again!!!

We had these little critters a couple of months ago, but I thought we got rid of them! Not so. The creepy crawlies are back, with a vengeance! There were waaaay more this time! And running away screaming and letting my husband take care of it wasn't an option since he wouldn't be home for almost 5 more hours, and I did NOT want those things crawling all over my house the whole time!

So I shook off my pants and ran out of the kitchen, put my contacts in so I could see the icky things, put on my husbands shoes (hehe aren't I such a good wife? Seriously though, something about husbands' shoes seems so much more effective at killing bugs than my girly shoes), and headed back to the battlefield. I kept sweeping the larvae together in little piles and stomping on them, but new ones were appearing just as fast as I could smash the old ones, and I couldn't make any sense of where they were coming from or where they were going. It's like they were just appearing out of thin air. Super stressful! Then I discovered - both to my relief and disgust - that they were jumping out of the slightly over-filled trashcan. Not crawling up and out of it, they were crawling up the inside, and then jumping/falling off the edge through the opening where the lid didn't quite close. Totally nasty. There was literally an open can of worms in my kitchen, and it was a big can!

Fortunately, that means the larvae are not currently living in our food storage! Thank heavens!! They were in something we threw away! Quite possibly the new head of lettuce we bought and threw away the same night because it was gross and diseased inside when we tried to wash it and chop it up? I put a new trashbag on upside down over the can to hopefully deter larvae from jumping on me, and I dragged the whole thing outside and left it in the sunshine. It's metal, so hopefully it'll get crazy hot and fry the little scootchers and end our problem :)

So in the grand scheme of things, it really wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't mind if that's the end of my Friday the 13th bad luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment