"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, June 14, 2013

Princess Karin, Her True Love, and the Mischievous Little Grape

There has been a major blog posting drought in my realm, but it's definitely not because I don't have anything to post about! Just you wait :)

So...the last time I posted was almost a month and a half ago. I had a different blog template (something is wrong with it now so I had to change it :( but it's ok, I like cupcakes too :). I also lived in my Grandparents' basement in Utah with my Trevor who was scratching around looking for something productive to do during his year off before graduate school, and I was busily and happily working full-time while taking ballet classes and going to rehearsals for our rapidly approaching performance of Cinderella a few nights a week (and bruising and blistering up my feel pretty good in the process too :).

That all changed one fateful day in May...

A few posts back I wrote a post (linked here) and talked about how I missed the closeness I felt to my Heavenly Father when I was really sick all the time. Yeah, I got my wish. I have spent a great deal of good quality time being bed-ridden and feeling miserably sick all day every day for a long time now! At first I thought it was a flu or something. I could tell it was different from my usual nausea somehow. After a couple of days though I noticed that I didn't have a fever. Weird. And the thought occurred to me...maybe...it's morning sickness?

But that couldn't be right. We're not trying to get pregnant, we're actually trying to NOT get pregnant. We specifically decided to not even think about starting to have kids until I was done with my performance and had quit my job, and Trevor had a secure job so we knew we could afford to take care of a baby without me having to work, and if we had to move for his job that would be taken care of first too so we wouldn't have to deal with moving while pregnant etc. None of these criteria were met, so we were planning to not get pregnant for a good long while. 

I don't really keep track of my periods since it's always been so irregular, plus my body gives me a nice big fanfare of symptoms (bloating, cramps, aches, feeling like I have to pee all the time, exaggerated emotions, etc) announcing that it's coming in the next few days. Oddly enough, once I stopped and thought about it, I realized I had been having these symptoms for about 2 weeks now and was still waiting for a period...and they also happen to be the same as some early pregnancy symptoms...

So I took a test after a middle-of-the-night trip to the bathroom for some dry heaving since I was already up and in there anyway, plus that was when it occurred to me to take it. 

Positive.

I'm a mommy!!!!

And not only that, my little rapidly growing baby had been sneakily living inside of me for just under 2 months before we found out (according to the measurements and due date from the ultrasound), and was already the size of a grape!! What?!?! And how?!?! This will be a sneaky mischievous little one, I'm sure :) I'm kind of thinking it will be a boy, but I really hope it's a girl!! And Trevor thinks it's a girl, but he really wants a boy. So regardless, one of us will be happy and the other will be right, and we'll both be proud proud parents :)

I woke Trevor up to tell him the good news and then went back to the couch to continue feeling miserable and sick and watch tv until I fell back to sleep. About 4 hours later he came and woke me up with some good news of his own! He had just gotten a phone call about the job in Alabama that he applied for and we were really excited about...and he got the job!! They wanted him to start ASAP too! They called on a Wednesday morning, and we rented a moving van and trailer for the car and packed everything up (and by "we" I mean Trevor. I just laid on the couch and felt like dying) and left the following Friday (the day after his sister's wedding :).

So in contrast with where my life was when I wrote my last post, now I'm a pregnant lady (starting to show now!) who spends LOTS of time in bed feeling sick despite being on anti-nausea meds constantly, I suddenly quit my job because this morning sickness has me way too sick to work, I dropped out of the ballet (there was no way I could dance if I can barely even get up to get myself food sometimes), I survived a 5-day cross-country drive from Utah to Alabama (I do NOT recommend this to sick pregnant women. It wasn't punch and cookies, that's for sure!), my husband is now employed and he LOVES his job, we've already got some new friends here, I survived the first week here alone in a hotel room all day feeling rotten while my husband was at work, and managed to drag myself around to view a few homes with a realtor, we chose one, moved all our stuff in, and now we're unpacking in our new Alabama home just 2 hours or less away from the beautiful white sands beaches of Destin, Florida!

Sooooo much has changed!!! And it's going to be great!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I had a feeling your were prego! So happy for you! I'm just sad that you moved and I won't get to see the little one and you never got to see mine! So happy! You have no idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, how exciting!! Fun surprise! I am so excited for you to have a little ballerina (if it's a girl).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay exciting! Congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete