"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

At Least I Tried to Eat Healthy...

So this one time I found this recipe for "healthy deep dish cookie pie"!!!! And it was pi(e) day (3/14)!! Perfect :) Last week was crazy busy and stressful...I might have to post about that one later...anyways, it didn't get made until today.

Based on the pictures, and the recipe creator's blog post about it, and all the reviews, this recipe was to DIE for! And it is dairy free and egg free! Seriously, does it get much better? How could I resist? For like the past week now I've been talking about it and telling my Trevor how excited I am to try it and basically making a nuisance of myself.

So like I said, today was the day of reckoning. I opted to make a half-batch just in case, which turned out to be a good decision. The dough/batter smelled awful. Like nasty unflavored hummus gone wrong. Honestly the smell itself kind of makes me almost gag. And it tasted...pretty much like garbanzo bean paste with brown sugar sauce :/ I loaded it up with a ridiculous amount of semi-sweet chocolate chips and baked it anyway just to give it a fair chance, which actually did make it much more palatable. There is still a definite lingering unwanted garbanzo presence though. I added some extra vanilla, oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg in my last mini cookie pie, so hopefully that will help too :) And to the garbanzo beans' credit, they do give it a delightfully gooey pizzookie texture, even when full baked.

Basically, this Pinterest recipe escapade was a flop. Maybe it was the brand of beans I used? Who knows. I guess my sweet tooth is a bit to smart to be fooled by these healthy tricks. Next time, I'm making the real deal! Much less gagging, and I won't opt for throwing away the dough after the first batch or two. I hate wasting food. And I'd much prefer a stomach ache after eating too much of something delicious than feeling sick from eating something gross! Maybe someday I'll have healthier tastes...but not today!

No comments:

Post a Comment