"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, June 4, 2012

Dairy-free Day #1

The doctors still don't know what's wrong with  my body and why I'm sick all the time. So...the latest idea they've had is for me to start an elimination diet. No dairy. And take it from there.

At first I was like ok, no big deal. I love cheese, but I can do without for 2 weeks, and I don't really drink milk like ever anyway, and I haven't had ice cream in forever. It won't be too hard. And then the doctor started listing other things I couldn't have...like no creamed soups, no creamy sauces, no creamy salad dressing, no butter, no milk chocolate (what?!!!!!!!!), no bread made with milk ingredients, no frosted breakfast cereals, no granola bars with dairy, no cake mixes with dry milk... and so on. Dang, now that I'm looking at labels, there are milk products in EVERYTHING! And I'm allergic to soy and almonds, so those milk alternatives are also out. So basically I have to make do without any of my comfort foods and yummy convenient snacks for the next two weeks. It's going to be a bit harder than I thought.

For breakfast today I couldn't have toast with butter because both the bread and butter have diary. No scrambled eggs with milk and cheese mixed in, no breakfast cereal, no yogurt smoothies or parfaits, no biscuits. Sad day. 

But I've been making a mental list of foods that are dairy free that I already have around though, and luckily I happen to have 2 sleeves of Bubba's Bagels and they don't have any dairy! Bread substitute! I can't put butter or cream cheese on them though, so I mixed up a mashed ripe banana, cocoa powder, coconut, peanut butter, and a touch of salt and sugar and made my own kind of chocolatey healthyish spread. Not amazing, but hey, I don't feel like I'm about to puke right now, so at least that's good!

Other foods/meals in my house that I've discovered to be dairy-free as of yet: Town House original crackers, oatmeal, Fiberone original cereal and Dulce de Leche (go figure?) cheerios and Chex Mix dry, fresh produce of course, Cliff bars (it says "may contain trace amounts of dairy" but they aren't ingredients), Tina's frozen burritos, mayonnaise and ketchup, homemade hamburgers (I have to find dairy-free buns still), chicken salad, and I'm sure I'll discover many more as hunger strikes and I start getting desperate :)

So now my quest for a happy stomach continues with this new dairy-free chapter of life!

And if it turns out dairy isn't the culprit, I'm eliminating corn syrup next.

2 comments:

  1. It's super hard to go dairy free. My mom can't have dairy either. She can have soy though, so that helps. But there are breads out there without dairy, you just have to look more. Harper's Homemade is really good. You just have to eat it kind of quicker than other breads because it doesn't have preservatives.

    ReplyDelete