"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Those Who Can't Do, Teach

I guess it's true. Just a couple of months ago I had never been in a gym in my life, and I'm terrified of water and never learned to swim. And as of yesterday I'm a personal trainer for 2 clients and I teach water aerobics. How does that even happen?

Well, it's probably a combination of a lot of things. First off, I quit my job at Costco and moved on to something better! Second, I started an awesome internship that provides teaching and opportunity. Third, I got thrown into situations/opportunities that were out of my comfort zone and I wouldn't have ever chosen on my own. Fourth, I had great resources to prepare with (exercise science major, old textbooks to use, smart people at my internship, notes and plans from previous interns and group leaders, the internet, etc.) and time to spend figuring things out.

Honestly, if there was an easy and reasonable way to get out of ever having to leave my comfort zone, I'd probably never leave it and never get anywhere. In this case, personal training is part of the internship so there really is absolutely no sense in avoiding it, and I was the only intern whose schedule worked out with the water aerobics class, so I had no choice but to learn. Lucky me.

But actually, I'm glad. Because on Monday (after tons of stressing out and hours of planning, learning, and prepping) I taught my first water aerobics class ever and it was actually super fun! And then I found out right after finishing the class that I was assigned a second personal training client who was starting at that very moment! I literally didn't have any time to prepare, so fortunately I was already prepared because I had just started my very first client the Friday before, and I happened to still have my notes and first-visit beginner exercises list in the pocket of my jacket, and it actually went ok! And then just a few minutes after she left, my second client came. And that went ok too!

Busy busy busy with tons of new things! It's good for me though. And I actually am discovering it's not as bad as I think it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment