"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Sad Valentine's Day Not

It's Valentine's Day!!!...and I'm sitting alone in a basement, eating crackers for dinner and spilling crumbs all over my shirt, procrastinating studying for a quiz, and scouring facebook for the 8979283492th time looking for cool/funny memes or video clips I may have missed in my previous sweeps of my newsfeed. I am so cool.

I've always liked Valentine's Day, even though I've only had a valentine once. It's not Singles Awareness Day, it's I Don't Need a Man to Complete Me Day!! The holiday for wearing as much pink as I want, buying myself exactly the gorgeous bouquet I wanted, buying a huge box of luscious chocolates and eating the whole thing myself without having to share, partying it up with the girls, doing my hair and dressing up just because I'm worth it, listening to girly love songs all day, drinking Martinelli's, making myself a nice dinner, watching a good sappy chick flick, and just all around being a girl and loving it because why shouldn't I?! Best holiday ever!

just one of many "I don't need a man to complete me" day parties

And now after many many many years of singledom, this year I actually HAVE a valentine! And he is wonderful :) And I love him more than I ever imagined I could love someone! And he's the best person to ever come into my life! Sometimes I'll be doing something and the thought will randomly just hit me "oh my gosh, I'm married to TREVOR!!! I love that guy!!!!" and then I just can't stop smiling :) People probably think I'm crazy sometimes.


Soooo...in theory, this should be the best Valentine's Day ever, right? Well that was certainly the plan! I was going to wake up early and clean things up and make him a delicious breakfast, then he was going to study for a couple hours and take a test while I played with my new camera that was supposed to come in the mail today, and then he had some surprise planned for tonight after we exchanged gifts! He didn't tell me what it was, just that it involved food and something else, and it was going to be wonderful evening!!

What actually happened...I was robbed!!! School, work, studying, stress, and exams stole my Valentine! Murderers of love!!!!!!!!!!!

Trevor's car broke so he took my truck to work last night, so I didn't end up doing last-minute Valentine's Day shopping like I wanted to. He finished his shift and got home at about 4:30 am. I like it when he comes home :) Then he told me regretfully that school was going to require even more of his day than he expected, so we decided to do our official Valentine's Day outing on Saturday instead. I did still end up waking up earlier than him and cleaning up the kitchen and bathroom while listening to cheesy love songs and making him this breakfast according to plan, and it was absolutely scrumptious if I do say so myself :)


heart-shaped fried scones from scratch with fresh strawberries. yum!

I ate a piece of chocolate cake with left-over homemade cream cheese icing while I was making them and waiting for them to rise (no one was around to tell me "no" and it was just sitting there begging me to eat it)...so I wasn't super hungry when I finally woke Trevor up, but I did steal a few bites off his plate :) Our lovely breakfast was intruded upon by the need to study, so we ate in the living room where Trevor could be at his laptop while eating. I watched a chick flick on Netflix. You Again. I actually thought it was hilarious! 

Then I spent the afternoon gorging myself on those gloriously fatty, delicious, deep-fried scones, perusing the internet, scratching Trevor's back, and waiting in vain for my camera that never came in the mail. A few hours later and I sent Trevor off in my truck again to take a 4-hour really hard Physics test with 2 peanut-butter and honey sandwiches for dinner instead of our outing. 

And so, here I am. Home alone on the evening of Valentine's Day, with a sick belly full of way too much cake and scones and nothing healthy all day, bored, not being productive, I haven't even showered or put on makeup today, and I'm covered in cracker crumbs because I was looking up the progress of my camera online and it's coming from Ritz Camera which reminded me of Ritz crackers so I opened up a box and started eating them absentmindedly. I've eaten at least a third of the sleeve, which is actually quite a lot for my small-capacity stomach these days. 

But you know what? None of that really matters because I have a wonderful husband who understands the importance of priorities, and he is putting the larger picture elements of our future (aka the doors that will be opened by having good grades on his transcript) before shirking duty for a fun day off. And that is probably the best Valentine's Day present I can think of :) Also, the fact that I can afford to spend a whole day being bored is an indicator of us having it pretty good! Who in their right mind doesn't dream of having a free day? And if not being showered with gifts and attention and a fun date today were the biggest of my worries, that just goes to show that my worries are pretty small. Not to mention the fact that I've managed to stomach all that food without ending up in the bathroom for a couple hours trying not to puke is pretty amazing! I definitely should have been nicer to my body today, but the fact that it could handle it with only moderate-minimal nausea seems like a good sign.


And when it comes down to it, I didn't really miss out on anything at all. We're just having Valentine's Day on the 18th this year instead of the 14th so we can celebrate all weekend instead of on a school day when I have to wake up at 5:30 the next day anyway. So now we get even more time to celebrate, and extra time to plan our gifts! Plus, all the stuff goes on sale tomorrow...:D Sounds pretty good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment