"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Monday, January 2, 2012

Life Lessons from the Fridge

Trevor is at work all night today. So to save myself from dying of loneliness in his absence, and to not be an unproductive waste of a non-busy human being, I decided to deep clean the kitchen. The fridge is in the kitchen. Cherry Jelly Belly snowcone flavoring was in the fridge.

Not in the bottle like it was supposed to be...it was in the fridge. All over.

We got a super cute snowcone ice shaving machine as a fun wedding gift, and some Jelly Belly flavored syrups to go with it. We tried it out after a run on a hot summer's day several months ago, and, as expected, it was delicious! But you can't have snowcones every day, so after awhile the syrup found its way to the back of the fridge, and eventually must have gotten knocked over by something being shoved into our packed fridge, and it spilled.

I found the sticky bright cherry red mess one day, but I didn't feel like cleaning it up. It seemed like too much of a nuisance for me to take the time to deal with right then. Funny how every time I've noticed that sticky red puddle since then I've always had something better to do with my time. Besides, once you reorganize the stuff in front of it, you can't even see it anymore! Or you could always just close the door...problem solved!

Well that theory worked like a charm (kind of) for several months until today, when I finally decided it was time. I took everything out of the fridge and started attacking the mess. The once-liquid puddle had slowly and methodically dried out and solidified over time, and now had more the consistency of thick hard caramel. Not the ice cream topping kind, I mean like those little square ones wrapped in plastic. Yep.  A plastic grocery bag had found its way into the puddle at some point, and it just ripped into pieces when I tried to get it out. The stuff was so sticky and solid that - even after soaking it in hot water for several minutes - it ripped up my sponge when I tried to scrub it out. I had to resort to scraping/prying it up off the fridge and into a bowl with a spoon, bit by bit. Oh and did I mention that it wasn't only on the second shelf where it originally spilled? It had dripped down the side and back of the fridge, and was on both sides of the third shelf, and collected in a nice big thick solid gooey mass of gross at the bottom of the fridge under the drawers.

However gross it may have been, I am pleased to announce that the red mess has been purged, and our refrigerator is now sparkling clean and organized again!

So, what did I learn? Well, I suffer from this stupid idea that if I ignore problems I don't feel like dealing with - or don't feel ready to deal with, they will either go away completely, or I will somehow magically know how to deal with them later. Sure occasionally that might be the case (for example the pizza crust I blogged about last week), but most of the time it is SO NOT TRUE! What would have been a matter of taking 5-10 minutes to wipe things out with a sponge or paper towel a couple months ago, was now a 45+ minute long ordeal of grit and determination for the same end result.

I do this with food like all the time. It starts to go bad, so instead of hurrying and eating it, I leave it. Like the food is going to get fresher as time goes on or something. This theory has clearly worked for the bananas and orange I have on my counter right now. Not. Really, I'm pretty sure something is wrong with my brain sometimes.

Yeah, I've still got quite a ways to go before I've overcome this faulty way of dealing with things. But, there's no time like the present for getting things done! So now I'm off to do something else I've been ignoring for months...clean my room!

2 comments: