"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, December 2, 2011

A Little Bit of Calmer

I'm on a posting roll today! I came home a little early from work today because I wasn't feeling well, so I've got stomach on the mind I guess. Along with having an endoscopy and possibly/probably? not finding anything useful or conclusive, I think it's time to acknowledge the definite possibility that these problems may be psychosomatic anxiety. I know stress exacerbates my symptoms very notably, but I don't think it's the root cause. I'm guessing that's something medical or physical. But assuming there is a way to treat the anxiety aspect, maybe it would be more possible to live without symptoms?  Or at least make them more manageable?

Who knows. We're still in the learning and discovery phase here. And the enduring phase. But I guess that one doesn't really count, since it lasts the whole duration of...well everything.

Anyways, I'm not wanting to jump on any new prescriptions or be reliant on medication for the rest of my life. Good heavens, I'm young and strong! My body should be about in its prime! And I want to keep it that way, and do it naturally if at all possible. So here are some ideas I've found online from various sources (most of them from here and here) of things to do to relieve stress and cope with anxiety.

- yoga!
- turn on some good music while you  clean your house
- watch fish in an aquarium
- go on a walk (or bring along a buddy for a walk-and-talk)
- plan to be 10 or 15 minutes early to everything to avoid late-ness stress
- don't say yes to as many things
- turn on some music and sing along
- set up a home spa (not sure what this entails, but I do love our heated foot massager, a long hot shower, and a good back and neck massage from my husband)
-  breath deeply and slowly
- draw a picture
- dance to your favorite music
- sit down to eat instead of eating on the go
- do a puzzle, crossword, or brain-teaser
- look at the situation optimistically
- take a break and step away for a minute
- pray
- keep a gratitude journal
- play music and cook something wonderful
- take a nap
- listen to relaxation music and meditate
- tell a good joke or find humor in the situation
- have good friends. a network of social support helps get through things
- drink something warm and soothing
- close your eyes and breathe in slowly through your nose (5 seconds), and out your mouth (5 seconds) several times
- eliminate clutter
- exercise
- stretch out and reduce tension
- read or watch a movie to escape from your stressful reality for a little
- aromatherapy. find your favorite scent and get a candle or airfreshener of it for home or your safe place. then use that scent to help you mentally get back to your safe place when you're anxious
- write about it, and then leave it all behind
- eat chocolate! yes, I did find some places that said it really works!
- smile, even if it isn't natural quite yet.
- listen to water

So there you have it. A nice long list of stress-reducing things. Some of them are ones I'm really good at (eat chocolate, dance, play music and cook, pray...), and some of them I should definitely start doing (get rid of clutter, be early, meditate, go on walks)! Hopefully my body will sort itself out somehow, and in the meantime I have a nice long list of things to do, and even if they don't help, they still sound fun to try :)

No comments:

Post a Comment