"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Short Fat Story

Once upon a time my dear Trevor went out of town for several days. I was a lonely girl in his absence,  and my poor Trevor had to drive for like an entire day to get home. So to console and entertain myself, and to have something yummy to greet my husband with, I decided to bake a cake. But not just any cake...a multi-layer turtle cake of awesome!!! German chocolate cake batter baked partially, and then drowned in a caramel layer (a bag of those square caramels melted with 3/4 cups butter and a 7 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk), covered in a half bag of Hershey's chocolate chips, sprinkled with a cup or more of chopped walnuts, and topped off with the rest of the cake batter, and then baked just enough to  be cooked through while still being delightfully soft and moist, and just oozing with gooey goodness! Good heavens, it was perfection in a pan!! In two pans to be exact, it was so big it took up both.

Trevor didn't especially love it though, and hardly ate any. It turns out he prefers his caramel untainted by things like chocolate, cake, and nuts. You learn something new every day! And no harm done, all the more for me! I ate a ton right out of the pan, and cut up the second cake and put it in the freezer to preserve the wonderfulness.

Just now I got it out to eat some more and realized there are only 2 rather small pieces and some crumbs left. I made that cake a week ago. So...that means in the past 7 days I single-handedly consumed roughly an entire cake, a whole bag of caramels, a can of sweetened condensed milk, a stick and a half of real butter, and half a bag of chocolate chips. And that's not including the Hershey kisses I've been eating, or the cake pops, or the other half bag of chocolate chips that is now gone, or the scones, or the chocolates, or the cookies from my aunt, any of the other goodies I've eating in the past 7 days as well. Oops. Oh boy, I sure am well on my way to being a fat old married person!!

No comments:

Post a Comment