"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, November 18, 2011

Blackberry Walnut Greek Yogurt Cold-buster Smoothie

No picture, sorry, I was lazy, and I've got a nice long list of things to finish before I go to work...where I will be until midnight. Yes, midnight. Blah. Yay for working in a bakery the week of Thanksgiving! On the bright side, at least I have a job and at least I'm making a nice bit of money, and at least I'm unsatisfied enough with retail that I'm quitting and getting a job I like more after the holidays!!! Merry Christmas to me!!!

So about that smoothie, this is one of the first non-green smoothies I've made, and it's a keeper! I've been fighting a cold for the past week, so I did a bit of online research to see what articles/websites/whatever suggested eating to fight a cold. And then I ate them! I'm writing another blog post about the rest of them and what they do for you, but a couple that were suggested were oranges (of course), greek yogurt (which just so happened to be on sale at Costco 2 lbs. for less than $2! Victory!), bananas, berries, honey, and apple juice. So I thought, why not put them all together and make a yummy get-well tonic?

I ended up drinking all the apple juice before I got around to making the smoothie, but it was fine without it.

Here's what I used:
- about 1 cup of greek yogurt, mixed with several Tbs. of honey until it wasn't so sour (maybe 3-4 Tbs? I don't know, I just squirted, mixed, tasted, and added more if it needed it)
- 1 orange cut in pieces
- 2 small bananas frozen and cut in chunks
- about 1/2 - 3/4 cup frozen blackberries (that happened to be the kind I had on-hand)
- about 1/4 cup walnuts

I just threw the walnuts in at the end because I saw them in the freezer as I was putting the berries away and it sounded kind of interesting. Definitely a good idea! They were less blended then the rest of the smoothie because they were thrown in after everything had been mixed, and they added this perfect little touch of texture :) Oh yum! I can't wait to play around with this thrown-together-here's-what-I-have-so-lets-use-it recipe and tweak it to perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment