"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dressed Up Spaghetti

Trevor loves anything pasta, and I'm always up for low-effort yummy food! Spaghetti is pretty high up there on the list of quick, easy, cheap, college student foods (right after top ramen, breakfast cereal, and mac-n-cheese). Unfortunately it's also pretty high up there on the list of boring and mundane if you just do it the "pour the sauce from the can onto the noodles" way, so I decided to mess around a bit. Nothing too fancy, but enough to make feel more like I actually made a good dinner for me and my husband instead of like two students hanging out and eating whatever was around.

I took a regular can of sauce and added about 3/4 cup of grated fresh zucchini (extra veggies without tasting like it), 1/4 cup of fresh chopped onions (great texture not to mention flavor), and some sausage (!) I had cooked up earlier and frozen, and simmered them on the stove while the pasta cooked.

I also made my mom's ridiculously simple - yet ridiculously good! - recipe for bread sticks, and let them rise (I put the oven on warm and turned it off, and then let them rise inside to speed things up) while I cleaned up the kitchen for when Trevor got home.


1 ½ cups warm water
1 Tbs. dry yeast
3 Tbs. sugar
3 ½  to 4 ½ cups white flour

Topping:
2-4 Tbs. melted butter
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 Tbs. dried parsley flakes

Add yeast to ½ of the flour.  Add sugar and warm water.  Mix until smooth.  Add remaining flour and turn out onto floured surface.  Knead until smooth.  Divide into 16 to 24 equal parts.  Roll into sticks and place on lightly greased cookie sheet.  Cover and let rise until doubled.  Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with mixture of Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, and parsley flakes.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes (until lightly browned.)



There is always extra topping, and it's absolutely delicious (not to mention it looks fabulous) sprinkled on top of your spaghetti :)

So Trevor got his pasta, and I got to feel like I was a wonderful little homemaker feeding my husband a delicious meal with meat, fresh veggies, and bread, for only about an hour or so of work. Win!

No comments:

Post a Comment