"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Sunday, September 4, 2011

It's a Beautiful Day for a Workout!

Me and Trevor live in a basement (another reason for spiders out the wazoo), so it can get very cold in our house. It's not usually a problem in the morning or afternoon since the sun shines in and warms things up a bit (plus it's summer:), but come late afternoon it starts to get cold. I don't do well with the cold. Unfortunately this means most of my time not spent at work, is spent laying on the couch huddled under a blanket eating junk food and doing nothing but read, spend time on my laptop, or watch movies. That plus eating more because of my decrease in nausea after being married (it's still an issue for sure, but not as severe as it was. thank goodness!), plus not having to go up and down several flights of stairs a day, plus not having to be out and about to see Trevor, plus not taking ballroom lessons anymore, plus not walking to campus, means I've put on a few pounds in the past couple of months. Whoops. I'm not "fat" per se, but I'd rather not head in that direction if I can healthily prevent it. SO I need to work out more, and find a fun way to do it. Sedentary living does not become me. I've also started up ballet again and it's frustrating how much muscle I've lost.

I'm deciding to combine these two problems and turn them into a solution. But first, a story. Once upon a time - back when I was a dancing machine - I had nice big thick legs. Very strong, but very bulky. Ballet uses a lot of muscles you don't normally use, but because my quadriceps and other muscles were so overpowering, I limited the ability of my weaker correct muscles, which means I was consistently using the wrong muscles and getting myself stuck fast in a spiral of incorrect technique and reducing my progression. Shooting myself in the foot, for short. I remember learning in high school that when a limb is in a cast, the muscles shrink from lack of use, and half wishing I could get my legs put in casts for a bit so I could lose what I had and start over. There are exercises and things you can do to strengthen the correct muscles, but I either didn't know them, or was so exhausted from school, work, early morning seminary, and endless hours of dance, that I just didn't do them.

Now I got my wish of having significantly weaker legs, plus I have some extra time lying around, and I have the knowledge and resources (thank you BS in Exercise Science!) to write myself an exercise program to get what I lack while burning off those extra pounds I've picked up on the couch :) Essentially, I'm going to be my own personal trainer, and give myself the body I've always wanted!

I'm also planning to start another blog for dancers, and post the things I know and the things I learn, so they can benefit too while it still matters, instead of waiting around till they're old and married and gave up on ballet years earlier :)

My Dance Anatomy textbook I ordered came in the mail yesterday, and I'm already devouring it and loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment