"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Aren't Sundays Wonderful?!

I've always been partial to Wednesdays for some reason. For as long as I can remember, I've just associate happy good feelings with them. Maybe it's because that's the day that my friends the Maughans would come over for piano lessons and stay to play back when we were little kids? Or because it was the day of the week my dad would let us have oatmeal for breakfast growing up instead of cornmeal, cracked wheat, or rice? Or because it's the day I used to have my first demi-pointe class? Or because that's when I had variations class with Mr. Slava? Or because it's the day the social dance labs at BYU usually are? Or because it's the day I usually have off work lately? Or because it's the day I have ballet each week now? Or maybe I just like the way the word sounds? Or some other reason? I really don't know. I just know I really like Wednesdays. Always have.

None of that really pertains to this post anyway, I just have a random train of thoughts apparently...this post is about Sundays! This past one in particular. And this may end up being more of a 'gush' than a 'post'...but my posts are turning out that way more and more, so I suppose that's nothing new.

Usually we have church at 9 am, which is way too early in my personal opinion. But this week we had a late night, and we were going to a different sacrament meeting for a missionary farewell later, so we slept in an hour :) Nursery was unusually fun! Probably partly because I actually got a decent amount of sleep, and also because there were only 6 or 7 kids instead of up to 13. We hardly had to do anything! So we relaxed a bit and talked to the other parents in with us while we played with the kids.

After our 2-hour block of babysitting was over, we headed over to the Bishop's office to pay tithing. As Trevor was writing a check and filling out the form, I got to listen in on some of a sacrament meeting talk of the ward after us (Marci Edgington's ward coincidentally!). I only heard maybe a minute or so of the middle of the talk, but it was still very powerful. He said it much more eloquently and powerfully than I can, but basically he was talking about how being at church and listening to the speakers invites revelation and inspiration, and that same spirit and message is there regardless of whether or not you choose to come, and whether or not you choose to listen and let yourself hear. So come to church and partake of the blessings. I guess it's kind of like having an extra large of your favorite milkshake right there in your hands and just staring at it instead of eating it. Or even pouring it out on the ground. It's just such an obvious waste; why do it? Then when we were handing in our tithing, the bishopric member (I still don't know names...oops) asked us if we wanted to go to conference, and handed us 2 tickets and a parking pass for the Sunday afternoon session!! The lesson here: Pay your tithing, and you will be blessed! Sometimes more immediately than others. And if we had waited to pay till next week, we wouldn't have gotten the tickets!

Then we came home and got some snacks, and went to the missionary farewell. It was for a friend who I actually don't even really know...haha interestingly enough, we heard about each other through friends when we were both searching for short ballroom partners. We added each other on facebook and almost tried out with each other, but didn't for whatever reason. Then a semester later we almost tried out again, but didn't again for whatever reason. But we're friends on facebook and we both have a similar circle of friends through the ballroom world, so we pretty much are! There were about 15 or so of us fellow BYU ballroom dancers there to hear him give his farewell talk. We all sat together and it was like we were a little ballroom family :) Can I just say that I LOVE the bonds that form within the ballroom world? And also the Mormon world :) The chapel we met in was really cool! One of the walls was stained glass, and the ceiling looked like an upside-down bowling alley! I don't know if the big pipes for the organ were real, or just decorative, but the organ sure sounded amazing!...even though it was really slow, and we all felt like we were just plodding along. Especially during one of the most funeralistic versions of Called To Serve I've ever sung.

I really wish I had just written this on Sunday, because I remember especially loving the first speaker's talk, but I have no idea what it was about now. Oh well, that's what I get for procrastinating I guess! Geoffry's farewell talk was about the power and blessing of personal revelation. One of my favorite topics :) It was really simple, sweet, and strong, and the fact that there were so many of us all there just to hear him just made it all the more...I don't even know what the right word is...so I'll say cool? But that's not quite the one I'm looking for. Special? Moving? Something along those lines? Articulateness is not my forte.

Anyway, after Sacrament meeting me and Trevor went home and cleaned up our living room a bit before the home teachers came over. A clean house feels so nice :) Our living room furniture isn't that impressive, so we wheel out the two office chairs for them to sit in when they come. We had a nice little visit, and a short, but direct, lesson about General Conference this coming weekend and how sometimes what we 'hear' or learn isn't always limited to the words that were said. Basically the take home message of this Sunday's teachings was to be in the right place at the right time, and be doing the right things so that you can have the presence of the Holy Ghost and hear what God knows you need to hear. We also found out there are going to be monthly get-togethers for the younger couples in our not-so-young ward! Yay!

Then we went to have dinner with some new friends in the ward. Their daughter is in our nursery class, and she's definitely my favorite. She's like the only one that really gets what's going on. When we try to sing action songs with the kids they just stand motionless and stare at us like we're aliens or something, but she actually understands and does some of the actions. She also really likes telling the boys to chase her :) They served us super yummy homemade pizza, and this delicious guava juice drink, and as it turns out, the husband graduated from BYU with the same major as me! We all had a nice chat for awhile, and then their daughter woke up from her nap and she was so happy to see us, especially Trevor! It was sooo cute! She'd be doing something and look over at us and just start giggling and smiling! She even came over and gave Trevor her three favorite toys, which her parents said is pretty rare. I don't blame her, I'm completely smitten with Trevor too :) We were too full for dessert so they sent us off with a plate full of some of the THE best brownies I've ever tasted!

And then we went home and I spent hours on facebook and reading people's blogs and reading my dance anatomy book, and fell asleep at like 11, and it was just a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment