"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, August 27, 2011

I Believe in Lucky Pennies


My freshman year of college I started picking coins up off the ground. I kept them on the edge of the shelf above the head of my freshman dorm room bed. Then one day I realized that the number of dates I had been on that school year was the same as the amount of change I had picked up. This pattern continued throughout the school year. It’s amazing how many dropped coins you find when you take the time to look for them.

 I told my new roommates about it the next year, and the search for dates – um, I mean dropped change – continued. One roommate found a coin from Canada. She got a boyfriend. One day I found a quarter…that was a busy weekend! Ok so I didn’t actually get 25 dates, but that day I had to cancel my previously tentatively planned girl date with a roommate and choose one of five different options for Friday night plans - each with different boys - that had suddenly sprung up over the next few hours. I continued to tell my new roommates each year, and we continued to search for lucky date coins.

I don’t remember finding any pennies before my first date with Trevor. That wasn’t luck; that was divine intervention :)

To this day, even though I’m married to the love of my life, I still stop and pick up pennies. They’re still lucky. And who can say “no” to a date with the man of your dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment