"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Saturday, July 16, 2011

spiders were meant to be smashed

For my post of the day I'm just going to vent about how much I hate spiders. Our new place has a ton of perks - don't get me wrong - and I really do love our wonderful cute new home, but it does feel an awful lot like I'm living in a nest of spiders sometimes. The first one I saw after we got back from our honeymoon was late Sunday night. He decided to make a mad dash across the kitchen floor towards Trevor. His trip ended in death. Victory! Then the next morning Trevor handed me a towel, and just inches from drying my face on it I realized there was a spider on it! I promptly squealed and threw it, and Trevor saved my life again by killing our new friend. Over the course of the day I proceeded to find and kill (or send my wonderful new husband to kill :) several more, and the pattern has continued throughout the week. Probably the most notable incident was last night / this morning. I got home from work around 10:45, and found 2 spiders within about 2 minutes of walking in the door. This should hardly have been a surprise by this point, but I'm terribly afraid of spiders and the common occurrence of finding them still hasn't dulled the adrenaline rush and accompanying fear. And it still takes me a couple minutes to work up the courage to actually smash them with something, and work up the stomach to clean up afterwards. Fortunately, our numerous spider friends are fairly cooperative at waiting patiently in the same spot while I run around looking for something to kill them with, and then stare at them while waiting for the nerve to finish the deed. Anyways, after killing a third spider that night, I decided to carry a shoe around with me so I'd be prepared. I also decided that, rather than braving the journey across our brown shag carpet that camouflages the spiders so perfectly until you're basically in contact with them,  I would stay on the white kitchen floor till Trevor came home to protect me. Unfortunately, he had work till 4 a.m. so it was a long wait. One of the spiders I found that night was in a web around the plunger, so I left it for Trevor to kill. It turned out to be a good idea despite the wait, because once he finally came home we found not 1, but 8 more spiders in the bathroom!!!! They are now all dead thanks to my brave knight in shining armor :) And our total number of dead spiders climbed to upwards of 26 since we moved in. I proceeded to have many nightmares about spiders, and was haunted somewhat frequently throughout the day by stray hairs or random things brushing against me that feel like spiders. ugh. It's pretty awful. I really really REALLY hope we get them exterminated!! SOON!!! On a happier note, we haven't found a single one yet today! Although, I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.

1 comment:

  1. sure enough, after I finished my post and started getting ready for bed, a spider came crawling in under the bathroom door from the hallway! Trevor got it for me as per usual :)

    ReplyDelete