"In all of living have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!"
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Happy (late) Pioneer Day!

This weekend was Pioneer Day! Yay! I have pioneer heritage on both sides of my family, and I definitely have something to be proud of and to celebrate :) And there's certainly no better place to be for Pioneer Day than in Utah! Technically it was on Sunday, but because this is Utah, it was observed on Monday. Both me and Trevor had off work, and Trevor didn't even have school, so it was going to be a fantastically wonderful day! But then I woke up to a desperate-sounding text from my manager saying we had some sick calls and we really needed help. Remembering all the times I've been completely swamped at work, and no one would come in when we needed help, I took pity on the people working - on a holiday no less! - and said I would come help. I got up, ate, got ready, and headed off to work and left my husband dearest still sleeping. Fully expecting to be greeted by utter mayhem at work, I was kind of surprised and frustrated to find out that actually only 1 person had called out sick. The workload wasn't even bad at all, and they actually would have finished fine even without me. It turns out my manager was just being a little dramatic and sent out a text to 8 people to try and convince them to come in. I was the only one who said I would, and consequently spent a good chunk of my day of vacation working. Oh well. More money in the bank! Working/talking with Drew while working was a pleasure, as usual, and Trevor got a chance to sleep in without me bugging him to wake up :) plus he had some quiet time to study for his take-home test and start it. So all was not lost!

After a couple hours of work I got my bedding and empty boxes from my old apartment. They got forgotten in all the early-morning stress of my wedding, and in all the spider hullabaloo after our honeymoon. Then I whipped up some delicious home-made chicken pot pies for me and my husband, and we headed off to his family's house for my first experience setting off real fireworks! His cousins (my cousins in law?) came over too and blew up a watermelon. We all got snaps and several colored sparklers too! I didn't even know such a thing existed! It was really windy and rainy so some of the fuses took a bit of effort to light, and the smoke from the sparklers was blowing around everywhere. Memories. Trevor's mom brought out a huge bowl of warm strawberry popcorn and it was sooo sooo good! A lot of firsts, and all of them were good :)

The fun didn't end there though! Once we were sufficiently wet from setting off fireworks in the rain, and full of jello popcorn, Trevor and I went to McDonald's to get a real-fruit smoothie and accompanying free red-box rental (Rango!). Equipped with snacks and entertainment, we headed home for a movie night! Aaand I fell asleep about an hour into it because I was all funned out :) What a good day!

1 comment:

  1. MMMMMMM Jello popcorn! I wish I had a popcorn maker to make some! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete